Updated: Jan 3, 2019
My resolution for 2019 is NO NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTIONS!
Let me explain…
2018 has perhaps been the most valuable year of my life. It challenged me to look hard at myself - my way of coping with things, the way I deal with my emotions and the physical effects it has on my health, reassess my ambitions, goals, life plan and desires as well as examine my relationships with my family, friends and work colleagues, and of course the ultimate question, what brings me peace, joy and happiness?
All these questions over 2018 had me reading, watching and learning more about the mind- body connection and spirituality and I look forward to sharing some of these amazing books in future posts in 2019 – so exciting!
But back to my no 2019 resolutions initiative…
I am not a spiritual guru by any means but I am a person who has been searching for her personal truth for a long time.
All we truly want is happiness right? Where or how does one find true happiness?
While the answer seems elusive it is actually a very simple when we still the mass of messages and self-talk in our minds and then everything becomes clear - you will find happiness when you can be content and show gratitude in and for the PRESENT MOMENT.
Now don’t get me wrong - I’d be lying if I said I didn’t want to look my best or accomplish my dream of a number 1 single or album in 2019, or want to experience the happiness of a happy, healthy baby or to see Goddess by Feritta and my food blog Eat In Style by Feritta flourish in the coming year - of course I would, however now I feel like I’m “in the pocket”.
What do you mean “in the pocket” you ask?
You see for me, and perhaps it’s the same for you, I have always felt like I was “chasing” my future and was never feeling happy with what I was doing at any given time - and that feeling of not being where I wanted to be made me feel as though what I wanted was unrealistic or unattainable - but over this past year I have read amazing stories and listened in brilliant speakers who if nothing else, have made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that anyone, today in this moment, can be and accomplish anything they want.
I’ve learnt a few things in 2018 that I would like to share with you and perhaps they will help you get your 2019 off to a great start too – now remember, these aren’t resolutions but they will offer you something much more valuable – peace of mind, a sense of self and will form the building blocks to a great year and life ahead!
1. Practice gratitude, daily. If you truly want to make your life wonderful, take a tip from Oprah and write down 3 things you are grateful for everyday! I do it before going to bed as it's a great way to cap of the day and end on a note of positivity! I picked up this great little journal from Kikk.K at 50% OFF!
2. It is okay to say no. Saying no has always been one of my biggest weaknesses however this year I will stand up for myself as my time and energy are valuable resources.
3. Don’t try to force relationships with people. Trust the right people will flow in and out as needed and that it is all good.
4. Forget your age! It is just a number so never let it hold you back from accomplishing something you truly desire.
5. There is always time to change – people who say they are too (fill in the blank) or can’t change really mean they don’t WANT to change. There is a wealth of YouTube videos, teachers and knowledgeable resources to get you motivated and help you along the way! I have found myself change so much in past year thanks to these resources and find myself a better person for it.
6. Have small but achievable goals each day that will give you personal satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment.
7. Don't let other people's opinion of you become your opinion of yourself. Constructive feedback and advice that enables growth should always be welcomed but avoid negative people or people who drag you down.
8. The universe is responding AT ALL TIMES TO YOUR FEELINGS & VIBRATIONS, whatever you are putting out – good or bad – will be your future or end result.
9. Listen to your body! If you are not feeling well your body could be trying to talk to you through a physical manifestation, take some time to reflect on what is going on in your life – relationships, work, stress etc. because if you ignore your feelings your body will find a way to make you take notice!
10. 10-15 minutes of meditation a day can shift your energies and mind-set. Here's a great one by Life & Leadership Coach Paul Babin that's great to listen to first thing in the morning!
11. Balance is important. It is so easy to neglect family and friends because we think we are working for them or we take for granted that they don't mind us working and leaving them on their own - this isn't fair on them or you. Your mind, body and soul needs down time too so there must be balance between work and play - and remember your family and friends are just as important as your work goals.
12. Try and get some fresh air every day – Japanese studies show a 20 minute walk near nature has as restorative and calming effect on the body - think of it as a moving meditation.
13. Forgive others and yourself too. In order to move forward you must forgive those who have hurt you (I know it isn’t easy) and forgive yourself as well (this can be even harder) for the mistakes you have made. Learn the lesson and move forward with a clean and positive heart – holding a grudge or holding onto guilt hurts only you.
14. Have some fun on a regular basis – it is so easy to get bogged down in endless work, house cleaning and daily responsibilities – be sure to take some time to enjoy the little things - you only live once! Remember how you used to dance around your bedroom like a rock star as a teenager? How fun was that? Find little ways to enjoy yourself and you'll be a better person for it. Check out my empowering on YouTube below and dance away!
15. Tell your partner they are special and that you're grateful that they are a part of your life on a regular basis (this goes for family and friends too) and make a concerted effort to spend one-on-one time doing something fun together every week – you need to nurture a relationship for it to endure.
16. Read something new every day, whatever you can manage – the greatest minds and most successful people in the world are all avid readers, constantly devouring knowledge and using it to enhance their own lives – why shouldn’t you too?
17. Instagram and Facebook isn't reality. Stop comparing your life to someone else's filtered, edited and photo-shopped enhanced life. Instagram and Facebook can be a fun way to pass a bit of time but always keep in mind, it is only what someone WANTS you to see about them and their life.
18. Unsubscribe from all the nonsense mailing lists that are cluttering your email so you can claim your inbox back - you will feel so good after doing it!
So friends, I want you to forget about New Years resolutions and just remember every day is a chance for you to fulfil your true potential - regardless of your existing circumstances right now - you can make the impossible possible.
I want to thank all of you who have been a part of Goddess by Feritta in 2018, I am truly grateful for your support and I look forward to providing you with valuable life enhancing tools, videos, products and more in 2019.
Before I go I want to sincerely wish you an absolutely amazing 2019. May you be blessed with health, wealth, happiness, joy, love, kindness, compassion, laughter, peace and success.